As the Christmas holiday came and went, so did the weeks with no news on the adoption front. Both Rob and I declared that all we wanted for Christmas was to be matched with our Haitian child, but alas, that did not happen.
We are at the point in the process where our dossier looks great and has been translated to French Creole to send to Haiti. At this point, we can review children in hopes that we can get matched. There are so many orphans in Haiti that Rob and I will likely review many in hopes of finding our child. The thought of this seems exciting, but it actually breaks my heart. I am not sure how I will be able to see the faces and information on so many children and have to choose. Choosing to pick one child over another is a thought that actually makes my stomach turn. How do I look at the profile of a child and decide that I am not going to bring you home and give you the family that you deserve? Not to be dramatic, but it haunts me. And I haven't even started the process.
Unfortunately things in Haiti are getting worse with the spread of Cholera and the rioting because of the elections. Human rights seem to be non existent there. On top of over 1,000,000 people still living in tents because little progress has been made to rebuild from the earthquake. This kind of social unrest leads to information coming out of the country at a snail's pace. We are working with 2 orphanages that have several children that meet our criteria, but they don't think they can get any information to us until late January. Their top priority is keeping the kids safe and healthy. Which we appreciate.
So we wait. Hopefully things will go faster than we expect but until then, we will continue to wait.
A week from today we have our Biometric appointment for Rob and I with Immigration for our I600 application. So things are moving on that end, which is great! Now we will just pray for the other.